Monday, May 17, 2010

Congrats to Bro. Joe!


One of the brothers in my community, Bro. Joseph Zutelis, CSC celebrated 60 years as a religious brother in the Congregation of Holy Cross. Bro. Joe is 88 years young and is very active, volunteering at a local nursing home and playing piano every night. He is a master English teacher, having studied at Oxford. He taught for many years at Notre Dame International School in Rome, Italy. All of this from a man whose first language was Lithuanian and whose father owned a local pub in his native New Philadelphia, PA. (Bro. Joe
is to the far right in the picture.)

4 comments:

  1. Dear Brother Joseph,
    my warmest congratulations! You were defenitely my favourite English teacher. Very pleased to see that you are still active and playing piano and dedicating time to others (like you dedicated your time and efforts to us as your students). Luigi Chen - NDI '86

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brother Joseph:

    Congratulations. I have often wished my college professors had been of your caliber - undergraduate and graduate! I can't imagine any other professor actually getting me to read Beowulf and Lord Jim ...

    All the best.

    Walter Bianchi - NDI '77

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here. I loved Brother Joseph's English classes and still show my daughter the comments he used to write on my essays. I never figured out what the term 'lit magazine' meant though. All the best, Brother Joseph, thank you for all your efforts!

    Hassan Abdel-Hamid - NDI '80

    ReplyDelete
  4. They cracked the mold when you joined this world Bro Joseph. Your spry wit and amazing teaching style has made an impact on me 28 yrs later. I know that you are still making people smile! congrats .
    Sargon Heinrich NDI 83

    ReplyDelete