Sunday, July 11, 2010

"This is my body. . . "

Daily Eucharist is central in the life of a Holy Cross Brother.  Our Constitutions remind us that, "We find ourselves especially close as a brotherhood when we share this greatest of all table fellowships." 

Bro. Richard Kelly, CSC, of Austin, Texas reflects on this gift . . .

There are many joys and blessings in my life as a Brother in the Congregation of Holy Cross.  One of my greatest blessings is that I get to go to the celebration of the Holy Eucharist (the Mass) just about every day with the other sixteen Brothers I live with in our residence on the campus of St. Edwards University in Austin, Texas.

Early each morning I go downstairs to our chapel. A ciborium (gold cup)is on a table as I enter. I take a small white host from the ciborium and place it on a gold plate.The small host, made of unleavened bread, reminds me of myself. As I put it onto the gold plate it’s like I’m offering myself to God for this day.  A few minutes later during the celebration of the Holy Eucharist these hosts will become the body and blood of Jesus Christ when the priest celebrant repeats the words of Jesus, “This is my body which will be given up for you.”

I observe the Brothers slowly coming into the chapel and each one takes a host from the ciborium and places it on the gold plate. I feel supported that these men, my brothers, believe in the same God as I do.

The celebration  begins and the priest leads us in telling God we’re sorry for our sins. Then we listen to three readings from the Bible. The words we hear from God’s Word are like spiritual food for us, nourishing our souls;  especially the third reading from one of the gospels, which is always about Jesus.  Soon the celebrant priest takes the hosts and repeats the words of Jesus, “Take and eat, this is my body which will be given up for you.”Then he says over the cup of wine,”This is the cup of my blood…which shall be shed for you…for the forgiveness of sin.  Do this in remembrance of me.”  Soon we eat Christ’s body and blood, which gives us strength to try and act like Jesus during the day ahead.

At the end of the celebration the priest says to us,”Go in peace to love and serve the Lord and others.”  We leave the Mass strengthened to bring Christ’s peace and love to all we encounter today. I am truly blessed that I can be part of this group of men that try each day to follow the way of Jesus in loving God and other people.

1 comment:

  1. I was brought up by the Christian Brothers!

    God bless you
    Michael

    ReplyDelete