Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Difference-Maker

Hasan Ali
The Constitutions of the Congregation of Holy Cross speak about the powerful witness of men who live and work together so closely that others might look at them and remark, "See how they love one another."  This sentiment is more than mere words, particularly in our Holy Cross institutions.  A shining example of our value on brotherhood recently took place at our high school, Holy Cross of San Antonio.  Read below how a young man found that he was more than just accepted at Holy Cross, but was made a part of our extended family.


Transfer a difference-maker at Holy Cross
Muslim senior fitting right in on football field, 
with peers at local Catholic school.

Blake Hurti, Express-News 
Copyright 2011 Express-News. All rights reserved.

Hasan Ali arrived at Holy Cross last winter with more than just the usual new-kid-in-school apprehensions.

The predominantly Hispanic and Catholic school doesn't exactly have a bunch of African American Muslims roaming its halls.

“That made me nervous,” said Ali, a senior safety who transferred from O'Connor. “I'm probably the only one in the school who's kind of far away from the Catholic religion.”

Turns out, it's not that difficult for a Muslim kid to fit in at a Catholic school.

The Knights football team accepted Ali as one of its own. He'll lead Holy Cross into the 43rd Holy Bowl against Central Catholic on Saturday at Harlandale Memorial Stadium.

“When you come here, they always say, ‘Holy Cross is a family.' And I know every school says that,” Holy Cross coach Mike Harrison said. “But here, it's the only place I've been where it's true.”

That didn't mean there weren't a few raised eyebrows when Ali arrived. But Ali broke down any barriers last spring by giving a “reflection” speech in front of his teammates. He explained the beliefs and teachings of Islam and what his faith meant to him.

“I think pretty much everyone knew about (my faith),” Ali said. “But that opened it all up.”

He even brought his prayer mat to school to show the team.

“I don't even see Hasan as a Muslim,” cornerback John Libby said. “I just see Hasan as Hasan.”

Ali has helped correct Muslim stereotypes, while also being exposed first-hand to Catholicism. The biggest thing he's learned: The two religions' teachings really aren't that different.

“He's no different than us,” linebacker Manuel Hurtado said.

Ali attends Mass each day with his classmates and joins hands in prayer with teammates before each game.

“I do everything with them, but I'll just say my own prayer in my head,” Ali said. “I try to be respectful.”

The only real difference between Ali and the rest of the Knights will come in the offseason, when he begins his delayed observance of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month that requires Muslims to fast from food and water during daylight hours.

Ramadan took place from Aug. 1-30 this year, smack in the middle of two-a-day practices. Not being able to drink water during practice with temperatures in the 100s wouldn't have been a healthy decision, he said.

“If I fast and pass out and something happens ...” Ali said. “That's why I always do it after. And when I don't eat, I get cranky.”

That has allowed him to focus solely on football.

At O'Connor, Ali started at safety as a sophomore before emerging as a running back his junior year. He broke out with a 46-carry, 331-yard and six-touchdown game against Holmes that year.

Holy Cross moved him back to safety and has used him as an effective goal-line back (nine TDs on 26 carries). He has transformed the Knights' defense, which has four shutouts this season.

Ali has a team-high 71 tackles (seven for loss), a sack, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries (one for a TD) and an interception. He has received interest from Kent State and North Texas and an offer from Division II Merrimack.

“He brings what I call a little bit of the (Class) 5A mentality,” Harrison said. “We built our entire defensive scheme around him.”

Even in last week's 20-12 loss to Antonian, Ali had the game's highlight play, coming untouched on a safety blitz and landing a crushing sack.

That loss humbled Holy Cross (7-2, 4-1 TAPPS 2-I), which was riding high after an upset of three-time defending district champion Austin St. Michael's.

This week is the perfect opportunity for the Knights to bounce back. Ali is prepping for his first and only Holy Bowl experience.

“I've heard how big it is and how important it is,” Ali said. “But I really have no idea.”

He got a taste of the rivalry when he got lost while trying to find his doctor's office earlier this year. He pulled over and asked another doctor for directions.

“This doctor said, ‘I can't believe I just helped you. You go to Cross. I'm from Central,'” Ali said. “Then he shook my hand, but it freaked me out.”

That had nothing to do with his skin color or religious beliefs. It had everything to do with the “HC” on his shirt.

Some differences can never completely be overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment