Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Answering the Call

Bro. Larry, second from left, with former members of the Moreau House community.
Gregory J. Scott of St. Edward's University in Austin, TX recently interviewed Bro. Larry Atkinson, CSC, for the Spring 2012 edition of St. Edward's University Magazine.  Bro. Larry, a graduate of this Holy Cross school, currently serves there as an assistant director of Campus Ministry and director of the Moreau House program where young men can explore their own calling by God.  

In honor of the Year of the Brother, we talked with Brother Larry Atkinson, CSC , about finding his calling.
Interviewed by Gregory J. Scott

On Oct. 17, 2010, the Congregation of Holy Cross celebrated the canonization of Brother AndrĂ© Bessette, CSC, by Pope Benedict XV I — the congregation’s first-ever saint. In honor of Bessette’s achievement, the congregation kicked off the “Year of the Brother” last October. It would be 12 months dedicated to honoring the vocation and ministry of service lived out on a daily basis. We sat down with Brother Larry Atkinson, CSC , assistant director of Campus Ministry, to find out why he answered his call.

As a young brother, you took vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. Most college students couldn’t imagine doing that. What’s the draw?
You get to work with so many different types of people. I’ve worked in elementary schools, high schools and colleges. I spent four years in Rome. The Holy Cross community just provides so many opportunities. So that’s one. The other thing is the community life. If you’re in any need— sickness, a family illness — there’s tremendous support here. People are willing to get involved and respect one another. The community really becomes a new family.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
I was actually studying to be a teacher. I was thinking of doing special education because I have a sister with special needs. I really enjoyed seeing the people [who] worked with her. It just seemed like a natural thing to do. It was about helping people. That’s what helped me find Holy Cross; it’s a teaching order.

St. Edward's University at dusk (Marco Castillo, '10)

Tell me about “the call.” Was it a flash of epiphany or more of a slow evolution?
Definitely a slow evolution. I think the priests and the sisters I knew from Catholic school influenced me over time. They were just great role models, always encouraging young people. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I think they were making impressions on me with their senses of commitment. But I was planning to train as a teacher. And then suddenly I realized that maybe the religious life might be a good fit for me. I had thought about the priesthood, as some Catholic boys do. But I didn’t feel called to the ordained life. So I started investigating religious communities, and I found Holy Cross. I took my first vows when I was 19. You take annual vows for six years, and then ultimately you take your final vows, which is when you realize, “I’m doing this forever.”

What’s the hardest part about being a brother?
It’s hard to come to terms with the fact that you don’t have a family to leave behind. You don’t have children or grandchildren. That’s a sacrifice that you make, so you find your legacy in working with other people. The students often become your nephews and nieces, your children in a way. You also find satisfaction working with the poor. I think we all have a call, and you work to figure out what that call is.

For as long as St. Edward’s has been, the Holy Cross Brothers have been an integral part of defining the heart of the university. Consider a gift to The St. Edward’s Fund that honors all the brothers have done for our community. Visit www.stedwards.edu/makegifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment