Thursday, February 18, 2010

An Invitation

Bro. Renatus Foldenauer, CSC of New York writes -

After graduation from St. Mary’s High School in Michigan City, Indiana, I received a position as a teller in Citizen’s Bank in town. I was excited and well accepted by the other employees. However, there was something missing in my life that needed to get attention and touch my heart.

Something was drawing me to attend daily Eucharist before going to work at the Bank. Many Eucharists were filled with a strong sense of God’s presence and consolation. It seemed I couldn’t wait to get to St. Mary’s each morning. Then I found myself stopping for a visit to the Blessed Sacrament after work each day.

I began to recall a vocation talk that Brother Theophane Schmidt of the Congregation of Holy Cross gave to the boys at St. Mary’s during my sophomore year. I had stored that in my memory. I thought what a blessing it would be to live in religious life, to be under the same roof with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament! I kept hearing the invitation that I must pursue the Brothers of Holy Cross. After considerable prayer and reflection I accepted God’s invitation to join the Brothers of Holy Cross.

This decision is something I never regretted even after sixty years of religious life. Teaching in high schools, directing choruses and bands, ministering to our Brothers, all seemed like a reverse mission. All is gift. When difficult times come I need but reflect on the words of Jesus: Who do you say that I am? (Matt. 16:13-17)

1 comment:

  1. Brother Renatus was the music director when i was in the postulancy in Valatie in 1960. I remember him fondly and have the deepest respect for him. I will always remember him telling us that "singing is praying twice". I still sing today...John Maloy

    ReplyDelete